Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Great News!

I saw my doctor for my regular checkup yesterday and for the first time since July, 2009 I DID NOT LOSE 1 POUND! I worked really hard watching my eating and making sure I drank a high-calorie supplement every day as my doctor recommended. When you have advanced liver disease, it's very difficult to keep weight on so this was great news and I felt good about reaching my goal. Before I was diagnosed I was overweight - moderatley so, and the treatment really packed on the pounds for me. I am a very active person, so lying in bed for months probably did not help. Some people lose weight on treatment and some gain. I was in the latter group.

I am still feeling remarkably well. Sitting in the arena watching my youngest son get his Master's Degree, I couldn't help but feel incredibly grateful for that moment. Who knew I'd live to see that day; I got a bit teary. I remember being diagnosed in January 2006 and beginning my first treatment right after he graduated from high school, hoping I'd live to see my youngest daughter graduate high school in 2009. My new goal is to live to see her to her college graduation. Each day is certainly a blessing and I never take it for granted like I used to. I find that I notice little things, enjoy the scent of a flower or the "thanks, Mom" so much more. Life is so rich and when you're healthy, you take so much more for granted. I was as guilty as anyone else.

Mother's Day is Sunday. There is simply nothing like a mother's love for her child. I think of Mary, who watched her son die on the cross. I think of the mother of Osama Bin Laden. I think of my own mother and grandmothers. And last, I think of how much I enjoy being a mother. My son posted this as his Facebook Status today:

One day is not enough to show the appreciation she deserves. To the most important lady in my life. I love you mom!


Nope, I didn't cry. I just looked upward with gratitude. I have so much to be thankful for! So much!

1 comment: