Friday, August 6, 2010

sick sick sick

I am very sick today. I am not posting to get pity or sympathy, but to share how it feels. People often ask me how I feel when I am sick and I will explain here.

I woke up feeling okay, had a great night's sleep. My morning routine was unchanged (I do the same things every day). But I began to feel sick - like I have the flu - around 10AM. All of my muscles and joints hurt just like when a person has the flu. But worst yet is pain. I have severe pain in my abdomen - on the right upper side of my ribcage and it wraps around me like a belt into the back right to my spine. The pain is an achy/pressure type of feeling. It doesn't cause me to double over, nor is it tender to the touch. It feels very deep inside my body. 100% of the time, the pain includes a severe headache. My head hurts all over. It's the same type of pain you get with sinus pressure but it covers my whole head.

So...I took 1 pain pill. No change. I waited awhile and took some Ibuprofen. No change. So...another pain pill. My daughter went to work at 10:30 and was concerned, but I told her to go, "it's okay" and she kissed me goodbye, telling me to call if I need her (she works 2 blocks away). By this time I knew I had to eat something, because now that I have diabetes I can no longer skip meals. I force myself to eat even though I have ZERO appetite. I am now afraid of being home alone. My mind is not clear and I'm so sick I simply feel fearful. I called my spouse and he came home to finish his work here in his home office. I'm so fortunate he is able to do this, but he does travel 2-3 days a week.

By the time he got here I had already taken 2 pain pills (prescription) and Ibuprofen without relief. So, he sat with me awhile and told me my color is a bit ashen (he's been noticing a gray-ish tint to my color, but it is subtle). I force myself to drink water, but the pain is still unbearable so I put on a heating pad. My husband finally says, "I think you should take another pain pill" and it's only 2:30. Three pain pills is my maximum allotment in one day. I seldom take more than 2 per day, and usually if I break the pill in half it does the trick. But not today.
So now I am finally getting some relief. For you nurses, I went from a 7-8 now to a 2. But now I am "loopy" and not thinking as clearly and I dislike - IMMENSELY - the way pain pills make me feel. I would never be a good drug addict because I generally dislike the "high" feeling.

I also took 2 Aspirin before pain pill #3 just to try something. It's probably not a great idea since my platelets run very low and my clotting times are off, meaning I bleed easily and my blood doesn't clot well, which is due to liver disease & aspirin is a "blood thinner" AND I have cirrhosis. But I'm desperately trying to get relief.

Now I'm exhausted from spending the day fighting this pain and from taking a day's worth of pain meds, so I will probably fall asleep. Falling asleep means I am not in pain (at least not enough to keep me from sleeping). And I can't think of anything I did yesterday that is different or unusual that would have caused me to have a bad day today. Nothing at all. Oh, and I had to take an anti-nausea medication because all that pain medication makes me feel pukey.

Some weeks I feel well and think I will live awhile; on days like today I can't imagine living one more year. So there you have it: what it feels like when I am sick. Hoping I wake up tomorrow and feel well, which is completely feasible. And....hoping this helps all of you who ask what it's like for me.

2 comments:

  1. sending you some love, sue.....
    and a wish for the pain to go away real soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry that you contracted this horrible disease while taking care of patients. People don't realize just how dangerous that care can be! I hope that your days get better. Just found your blog!

    ReplyDelete