Monday, June 28, 2010

Blood test

I received a call from my doctor's office today, delivering the results of my blood work last Friday. I am still in a state of utter shock. My blood glucose (blood sugar) was 200. This means only one thing: diabetes. I am stunned - I am very disciplined and eat very healthy, I have lost 50 lbs. in the past year and do not have a family history of diabetes. People with Hepatitis C, especially those with extensive liver damage are 3 times more likely to develop Type II diabetes than a healthy person. So I am now one of those statistics. People with Hepatitis C are also twice as likely to get kidney cancer and seven times more likely to get liver cancer.

And...I had this test done on Friday when I was feeling significantly better than I had been earlier in the week, so it's scary to think of what might have been going on in my body when I'd passed out cold two times. The symptoms I had make sense now.

I'm numb.

It's just unbelievable that one little needlestick that occurred many years ago could effect my life in such a profound manner. While trying to provide care and save a life, I contracted a disease that would ruin my life.

Now I will have to be tested further and make sure we've got the diagnosis right. There are other possibilities, but most likely I am now a Type II Diabetic.

I don't know what else to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment